Monday 22 November 2010

TSR Bakers November Bake - Homemade Oreos

I've quite a bit of catching up to do. I can't believe how quickly the year has passed and now it's not far off Christmas once again. I really need to get cake, pudding and mincemeat making over the weekend. One of the best parts of the whole event is definitely the baking. In my opinion the most enjoyable parts of christmas are ordered thusly, starting with most enjoyable: Taking delivery of the real tree and decorating it and the house; the baking; cooking the meal; leftovers and finally presents.
Anyway, in the spirit of catching up, here is the much delayed November bake from the TSR bakers that I should have posted ages ago, so apologies for that. This month's bake was Homemade Oreos, selected by Internet Gems. I must say I've neve been a big fan of actual Oreos, they're alright, but I'd always choose a chocolate digestive or a bourbon over one. Homemade oreos on the other hand are completely delicious and so easy to make too. The biscuit part is crumbly, melting and the bitterness of the cocoa is perfectly complimented by the sweet vanilla buttercream filling. I'll never buy a pack a of oreos ever, not when I can have these instead. So yes, go try them.

Homemade Oreos
Makes around 25 sandwiched cookies

For the biscuit dough:
160g plain flour
8tbsp cocoa powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
250g sugar
140g room-temperature butter
1 large egg
Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl, then, using an electric mixer, add the butter and the egg. Mix until the ingredients come together to form a dough.

Take a pinch of the dough (about a small teaspoon sized amount) and roll into a ball. Place on a lined baking tray and slightly flatten the ball. Space the balls at least two inches to allow for spreading and bake for nine minutes at 190 degrees.
Remove from oven and leave to cool on tray for a few minutes before transferring to a wire tray to cool completely.
For the filling:
115g soft butter
260g icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
a little milk if required, to thin the icing.
Cream the butter then add the icing sugar, vanilla and milk if using. Spread on the flat side of one cookie (I used a piping bag) then top with another cookie, flat side down.
They keep very well too, the cookie softening only slightly, which is no bad thing with this type of cookie.

1 comment:

Emma Richards said...

Yum, I have recently made cupcake Oreos but these look so much more appealing! I think i may have to subscribe!
I am very new to bogging, if you are interested here is my blog

http://livelaughlove-emrichgen.blogspot.com/

 
eXTReMe Tracker